Crafted By – Be Spoke | S2E2
Give this episode’s guests a mic and an audience and they’ll fuse the wonder of words with the power of performance. The Spoken Word Poetry scene in Singapore is alive and well, with multiple events happening throughout each month across the island.
I talk to 9 poets here about (a) how a layperson can know if what they’re listening to is amazing or gibberish (b) the difference between page poetry and spoken word poetry (c) a comparison of the spoken word scene in Singapore and Malaysia (d) the art of spoken word performance (e) the impact of social media (f) representation of minorities (g) addressing societal issues (h) income for poets (i) the scene today and tomorrow
The poets we spoke with are
- Jennifer Anne Champion – https://jenniferannechampion.com/
- Stefanie Dogfoot – https://www.facebook.com/stephaniedogfoot/
- Kok Wei Liang – https://www.facebook.com/kwl3000
- Marc Nair – http://www.marcnair.com
- Shivram Gopinath – https://sg.linkedin.com/in/shivramgopinath
- Melizarani T. Selva – https://www.instagram.com/melizarani/
- Pooja Nansi – https://twitter.com/poojanansi
- Deborah Emmanuel – https://deborahemmanuel.com/
- Chris Mooney-Singh – http://www.chrismooneysingh.com/
Check out Mantravine, Deborah Emmanuel’s band https://www.mantravine.com/ Their album, Cosmic Shaman, drops Sept 7th!